Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strike a pose

Athletes ready to strut their stuff on stage
by Matt Long

What better way to begin your post-high school life than compete in a bodybuilding contest?

That’s what Folsom’s Alexander Cosentini is doing. The 2009 Folsom High graduate will be one of many who will compete in Saturday’s Drug-Free Mr./Ms. California Extravaganza at Folsom Middle School, one of three Folsom residents signed up to participate. Kelly Carlson and Maria Tyler will join Cosentini in the show, along with several out-of-town athletes. Carlson will compete in the women’s open class, as well as the women’s bodybuilding category, while Tyler will be in the Masters division competing in the open class along with the figure competition.

For someone who once did whatever he could to avoid lifting weights, Cosentini now enjoys it.

“I used to be one of those kids who was on the computer all day and my dad told me that real men lift weights,” Cosentini said. “I took that to heart and tried it and liked it. When I played football I tried to do anything to avoid it, but now I’m glad I got into it.”

The 6-foot, 2-inch, 158-pound 18-year-old is looking forward to his first competition. After training hard for the last six months, he’s ready to show off his body.
Read the full story here.

No comments: